Monday, May 13, 2013

Self Medicate with Kindness


I'm going out on a limb here.  I'm going to reveal how truly passionate and radical I am about this BKTY movement.  Its scary and intimidating but I'm going for it...


I submit that self compassion is the medicine we've all been waiting for. This is the solution to our society's ills- the ones we think of as complicated and permanent like violence, poverty, hunger and many mental illnesses. No, we aren't reinventing the wheel.  Of course it has always been available but as the old saying goes, "Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees." So, I'm saying that being kind to ourselves, self compassion, is the medicinal we all crave for  every disorder from depression to suicide.  There- I've said it and I'm not taking it back.

Here's the breakdown- We humans are all essentially the same.  We have different circumstances but the internal landscape is always the same- rising and falling each day to a mental tape recorder that asks the same questions over and over again.  What am I doing?  Can I really do that?  What will they think of me?  Will I get hurt?  How can I protect myself? Will I have enough?  Am I enough?


Go ahead. Admit it.  Its OK- I know about the mental recorder because I have one too. It doesn't have much faith in me or anything else, it always wants to look good and avoid looking bad.  It is constantly afraid of not having enough money, love, time- you name it.  And it insists on replaying every hurtful event and emotion I've ever experienced in a grave effort to convince me that life is scary and people can't be trusted, most of all myself.  The root of this thinking is holding onto some conclusion I made about myself when I hadn't even hit puberty yet.  When that goes unchecked, many of us continue adding new assumptions about ourselves right on top of that shaky foundation.  Before long we're sabotaging our health, relationships and finances and can't remember why.  The shaky foundation built by a kid becomes our credo-  what we deeply believe to be true about ourselves.

I call the mental recorder EGO and it is a lovely acronym for Edging Good Out. To be fair and clear, we must also understand that we have this faculty as a very efficient protective mechanism whenever things happen that we don't understand, hurt us or threaten our sense of self.  As the soul strengthens and we discover that the ego is not who we are, we can choose to listen or not. Whenever I hear that recorder trying to edge good out, I come back with self compassion.  That's right, ego can't survive in the presence of true love and compassion.  So I lay it on myself big time.  My ego says, "People are really going to think you're crazy.  You'd better shut up."  That's when I look in the mirror and acknowledge the truth, "I am so grateful for my brave, clear soul.  When I speak the truth, those who have eyes to see and ears to hear it will be glad and grateful as well."

It works wonders.

Moreover, it is a skill that builds strength like our body's muscles.  The more you exercise this kindness muscle with yourself, the weaker ego becomes.  Meanwhile you become a self compassionate God or Goddess bringing a brighter, stronger presence everywhere you go.

Try it on!  And tell us about your experience because we believe that you have the power to heal your own fear, self doubt and self criticism which lies at the root of our human dis-eases.  To actually experience kindness and compassion, rather than conceptualizing or talking about it, will make violence, injustice and competition archaic paradigms of the past and virtually impossible to replicate.

Sharing your experiences, whether in ego or Goddess mind, allows your strength and life mastery to grow.  So get your soul exercise on and post those comments today...

We've made it much easier to post comments below- so go for it!

From my heart to yours,

Rev. Sala
The Minister of Self Compassion

8 comments:

  1. How true! I'm firing my inner critic today. Thank you for this validation. I'll try being kind to myself instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on! This is very, very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! YES! Your words scream truth, wisdom and empowerment. Thank YOU for your courage and compassion. It's when we have the strength to face ourselves and acknowledge our own inner dialoge that we have the power to change it. Our self-criticism has become a habitual, natural part of our daily lives, we barely notice it happening. Thank you for waking us up to noticing.....the road to progress can begin here....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks for the loving reminder in your empowering blogs. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive self talk is very useful, I totally agree with you. I've tried to use positive self talk in the past, but I just realized that I must have left that concept behind somewhere. I've got to pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One concept that I've learned to combat the negative self talk is authenticity... meaning that I should just make sure to react in an honest manner according to the person I fell I am and would like to be, rather than thinking about how my actions will be viewed by others. I think a lot of us fear the ridicule of others, and it causes us to overthink and be overly critical of ourselves, and in the end we just end up looking as awkward as we feel anyway. I know it's not quite what you were trying to say with this post, but hopefully it's still something worth thinking about...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently, I've had a couple of events in my life that have shown me some of the unfair and ugly assumptions that I make about myself daily. It's true, what I adopted very early on as a child has grown with me, and grown into something that is not only irrelevant to my current life circumstance, but also something limiting to my future growth. I'm really doing my best to overcome it, and I hope I do - no, I'm sure I will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right in saying that it is a skill! Practice makes perfect :) I've been working at improving my self talk for years now. I'm not a master at it, and there have been ups and downs. But thanks for this post, it's given me a little bit of support in my path to develop this skill and solidify it into a permanent habit of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here...