Monday, May 6, 2013

The Peacock's Feet

"People are crying up the rich and variegated plumage of the peacock, and he is himself blushing at the sight of his ugly feet." Sa'Di

      We recently released a Twitter feed encouraging everyone to accept their innate perfection.  The affirmation of the day was: "I am perfect just the way I am".  This seemed to raise lots of eyebrows because the word perfection immediately produces an idea or image in our minds that is uncomfortable.  We are all probably guilty of saying "No one is perfect", a statement which reveals our idea of perfection as something material, unattainable and inhuman.  In fact, I submit that perfection is simply a word and idea to which we assign a meaning.  If we have assigned a meaning that does not include our own nature, perhaps the definition needs rewriting. This realization is fertile soil for examining the way we see ourselves and how we identify with who we really are.  Since we are each a spark of perfection that lies beyond what our body's eyes can see, we come to know the truth of who we are most deeply when we can begin to see and identify with an innate perfection, our inner radiance.

     Like the twinkle in a smiling infant's eyes, we all have it. And it is so much easier to be kind and compassionate toward our foibles and faux pas when we know that this Special Sparkle is the truth of our being.  Much like the peacock Sa' Di describes, we have often become so obsessed with what isn't 'right', what isn't working and what we aren't able to do, that we lose a grasp of the amazing spirit we've become, the beauty we exude into our environments and the twinkle we carry in our eyes that lights the day for everyone we meet.

    It is time to remember and return to that sparkle and shine it all over our lives- beginning with the man or woman in the mirror.  Today, shifting your focus into celebration of the inner radiance that you are, take a lesson from the peacock and admire your own feathers instead of lamenting your perceived faults. With that acceptance and admiration comes the strength to share who you are.  And everyone around you becomes a recipient of this gift.

If you'd like to practice seeing the unchangeable radiance within, try these contemplations:

  • What compliments do other people give you?  Do you receive them?  
  • Are you lamenting your "ugly feet" while most people around you are enjoying the beauty of your colorful feathers?
  • How would your life be different if you too felt true gratitude and appreciation for your colors, the beauty made as you?
The action happens here on the blog so post your comments and thoughts!
And remember... Be kind to yourself.


From my heart to yours,
Rev. Sala

Please share!









4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. So much to think about today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. That quote is so powerful! I've been very critical of myself for a long time - it's not that I don't know there are good things about myself, but I've always been concentrating on the ares that need improvement. Maybe it's time to shift my focus for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I've always been really bad at receiving compliments, and I have realized over the years that this is because of serious self worth issues that I have. I'm not sure how to get over it, as I've been taught that pride in what I've already done is really just laziness in being slow to tackle whatever improvement is next. I've been trying to learn to positively reframe this attitude in a way that still allows me some feelings of self worth, but so far I've been unsuccessful and I keep beating myself up for being proud of myself, let alone let anyone else compliment me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peacocks, but I never really put much significance behind it until I saw this post. Very good job! Now, when I wear my peacock themed clothes and look around my peacock living room decor, I'll remember this and hopefully remember to love myself too :)

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here...